Kylie became interested in nutrition as she attempted to find the answers to her own autoimmune disease. As a type 1 diabetic, she had followed all the conventional dietary advice but after 10 years began to get background retinopathy, despite having a HbA1c under the recommended 7%. She found the endocrinologists and dieticians may have known how to manage the disease in theory but found they didn't understand it's nuances or what it was like to actually live with the disease on a daily basis. They didn't understand that their theories did not always apply in practice.
Wishing to bridge the gap in the care people received from conventional medicine doctors, and self care at home, Kylie decided to retrain as a Nutritional Therapist to specifically focus on helping type 1 diabetics achieve their health goals, knowing her experience as a type 1 diabetic herself would hugely benefit her clients.
And so, the idea for Autoimmune Clinic was born. Collaborating with other practitioners who themselves have personal experience of autoimmune conditions, the Clinic aims to offer it's clients practitioners who really know what it's like to live with their disease. And, as specialists in their area, our practitioners really know their disease inside out and so know what it takes to transform their clients health.
All Autoimmune Clinic practitioners are Registered Nutritional Therapists who have qualified from an NTC registered Clinical Nutrition degree or Diploma course. These courses require a minimum of three years study involving continuous assessments and in-depth training in, and over 200 hours of practical clinical experience. Qualified Registered Nutritional Therapists must also undertake a minimum of 30 hours of Continuous Professional Development (CPD) training each year. Autoimmune Clinic practitioners conform to and often surpass this standard.
We practice a holistic approach to health and wellness, which means that we look at how all areas of your life are connected. We strive to find the root causes of your illness by assessing your health history and your family’s health history to see how all parts of your life affect your health as a whole.
We work with our clients to create healthy and balanced eating habits in a way that is flexible, motivating and with long-lasting results. As educators, we enjoy teaching the foundations of healthy eating and help you to add nutritious, healing foods into your everyday diet. We always try to create practical tips, simple and quick recipes and ensure that your plan is manageable.
However, if clients are really serious about overcoming their illnesses or health issues, it does require a total mind shift and a lot of patience. The diet is the first and most powerful part of the process, but optimal health can only be attained in conjunction with other elements such as stress reduction techniques, exercise and healthy sleep routines.
We also support co-existing conditions such as headaches, PMS, IBS, depression, PCOS and other gut or immune issues. We aim to bridge the gap between the care you receive through your primary GP and the self-care you can give yourself at home by optimising the healing power of diet and lifestyle.
THE CONSULTATION PROCESS
1. We highly recommend a 15-minute complimentary discussion before you book your appointment. This is to shortly assess your main health concerns and together we can decide which of the packages would be best and realistic to reach your goals.
2. Prior to your initial consultation you will complete a detailed health questionnaire which provides insight into your health history, current nutrition, exercise routine and lifestyle and most importantly your personal health goals. You will also be required to complete a ‘food diary’ for seven days prior to your first consultation. You can send any previous test results undertaken by your GP or previous health practitioners.
3. You will then receive a confirmation email that your completed form has been received and you will be sent an invoice.
4. After acknowledgement of payment we will agree a date and time for your initial consultation. Most consultations are virtual via Zoom however face to face consultations can be arranged when convenient.
5. During the first consultation we will go through your health questionnaire and ask more questions to build a personalised picture of you. Your initial plan will get you started on a healthier diet with some lifestyle adjustments. When creating new habits a phased approach is often best. Some supplements and tests may be recommended but we'll always work with your GP and see what can be done for free on the NHS.
6. A follow-up consultation will be arranged at your initial appointment. This can be weekly or 3-6 weeks later to monitor your progress, depending on your needs.
7. All of your plans will be designed specifically for you and will fit in with your lifestyle. As with all change it will take some dedication and commitment but we will do our very best to make that manageable and achievable. The plan can be reviewed via email support or at the follow-up to assess progress and agree next steps.
At least 72 hours’ notice must be given for a full refund. If less than 24 hours notice is given we reserve the right to charge for the appointment. Rescheduling more than once may incur a fee and will be dealt with at the discretion of your practitioner on a case by case basis.
All consultations are to be paid for in advance. There may be additional costs if supplements or laboratory testing is recommended, however these are optional and will be discussed in detail during the consultation.
We only recommend pharmaceutical grade supplements from manufacturers and reputable brands who are certified with Good Manufacturing Practices and are supported by scientific research.